Decorating & Furniture/painting

Question
Hi, I have a bathroom which needs a quick spruce up, its my mther-in law's, she won't agree to a major job as she very old and doesn't want workmen trailing in and out over a period, so I would like to know is it possible to paint over the tiles which are the entire area in her bathroom, its my intention to replace toilet, sink and shower which can be done in a day, so what do I use and will it be a success?  

Answer
Diane,

Thanks for the question.  The only way to paint over tile and have it hold up is to use paint that is specifically made for tile and glass.  It isn't "cheap". I've found it at craft stores (i.e., Michael's Crafts, JoAnn's ETC)The brand name that immediately comes to mind is Glossies, although they have more than one brand available.  You want the kind that "cures" without being placed in an oven.

My suggestion from a cost standpoint is to "sponge" or "rag on" the paint over the tiles, giving it a new, textured appearance.  If you use more than one color, apply the color you want to see the MOST of last.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik