Decorating & Furniture/painting

I have seen homes that have different walls painted different colors..I am planning on painting my L shaped l/r dr/ with a sponging off technique in gold and greens..the colors in my sofa and pillows..I was also wanting to paint one or two walls a solid gold or green but Im not sure which walls to do..I have been reading about anchor walls but its not helping me any. How do you know which walls to one color and which walls to paint the coordinating color..the green will be the main color ( I think) and the gold the accent color and a bit of burgundy as thats whats it my sofa cushions and valance..
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for your questions. You may prefer to use your sponge technique on a wall that is not the focal point of the room, making it an "accent wall".  The focal point of a room is the main, first-one-you-see, one-with-the-fireplace or one-with-the-fancy-window wall.  It's basically the wall you're facing as you enter the room.  If you don't have a natural focal point, then you can create one with a special technique, leaving the others solid (or vice versa if you prefer more accent than basic.)  

Some tips for faux painting (and I love it).  First, visit for techniques, samples, how-to's and other important information.  Remember that with most accents, you need to use an odd number (3 colors) for best results; base, coat one and coat two.  And that the color you see MOST is the TOP (last) color you apply.  

Good luck on your project.  Write back and let me know how it works out.  

There's also great painting info at sites like and  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology