Decorating & Furniture/painting a cast-iron door knocker

Question
I recently bought a wrought iron door knocker (very large - 15" x 7" and 7lbs.) called "Greenman" - I saw another one that had a gorgeous smooth greenish finish with yellowing areas - almost like an aged brass or bronze patina, and so when I found this one on the internet and it said "verdigris" finish, I thought it would be the same, alas it is not - it is black and rough textured and looks like someone just lightly spray-painted a bit of green and some gold on it - yucky!  I would like to know if there is a way that I can re-create the smooth, enameled light-green / yellow finish that I saw on the original knocker - I have no idea where to start.. can you give me some suggestions?  Thanks so much!

Answer
Clara,

Let me tell you that paint techniques are not my best subject, but I can share what I know.  First and foremost, there is a kit at stores like Michael's Crafts or JoAnn Fabric and Crafts for "aging" or creating a patina.  I'm confident they have one that would work for you.  Patina is achieved by layering the paint and using a negative technique - putting color on and taking it off.  Start with your base color and add color in the order you want it to be seen, i.e., finish with the verdigris color you want to see most of.

Hope this gets you going.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik