Decorating & Furniture/painting crib and bed

my sons crib is white but its called distressed- sort of looks like the paint wasnt finished or like it rubbed out I would love to match a natural wood toddler bed that I ahve to this crib butI dont know how to prepare the crib for paint and how to create this look..any search for disressed gives me antiqued type of stuff..but this just looks rubbed -i would guess to paint it white and then take a rag and rub out some spots while its still wet but do I need to do anything before I paint the furniture? like primer?? this is my first project and Im nervous
thanks here is alink to the pic of the crib bar sorry not so clear

Thanks for writing!  You're so right about the perfect technique for getting the look you want.  What I would suggest is that you prime the natural wood with a very thin coat of white paint (which will allow the natural shade to show through), then once that has completely dried, apply the paint and take a rag and rub part of the paint off. This should do the trick!

PS:  This is actually called white-washed.  You may be able to find more info using that term.  Also, check out for detailed help.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology