Decorating & Furniture/painting a crib

Hi, I have a crib that already has a natural stain but I would like to paint it black. So my question is how should I go about doing this project? Do I need primer? if so how many coats? what is the best method of painting the crib (spraying or rolling)? what is the best paint for this project that would be safe to use on a crib and would not chip off easily?

thank you,

Thanks for your question.  Here's my recommended procedure for a flawless finish.  First, lightly sand the crib with a medium grit sandpaper. (This gives the new paint a "tooth" to attach to.) After sanding, remove all the dust with a clean, dry cloth.  Prime the crib with a water-based KILZ or BINZ (non-pourous primer available at home improvement and paint stores) and allow that primer (1 coat) to dry overnight. Paint with your favorite water-based paint:  Behr, Glidden, Pratt & Lambert - all good. Because you'll want a smooth finish, I'd opt for a foam roller, which leaves less streaks than a brush.  It's too big a job for a spray can.  Allow the paint to dry (about an hour or two) and then apply a second coat.  It will be beautiful.

My best,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology