Decorating & Furniture/painting over dark walls

I'm a college student, and this summer I'm moving into a house with 3 of my friends. We're allowed to redecorate any way we like, and I'm trying to get ideas together for my room. It's a pretty average bedroom size--my guess would be about 12ft square. My question is about the walls.  Currently, they're a solid green color, which will really clash with the sheets i'm getting (you can view the sheets at walmart's website: ) The colors in the sheets are lime green, cobalt blue, aqua, and lavender.
I'm afraid of completely repainting the walls, since it might be hard to really cover the green with another color.  I was wondering if it would be possible to colorwash over the green with a different shade of green, or maybe with a light blue, to make the walls match the sheets better. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm not good with colors.. Help!

Hi Molly,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  You can actually do either technique with good results.  If you want a "mottled" look, add a colorwash over the green in a pale blue.  To get specific instruction on colorwashing techniques, visit  If you'd prefer a solid color, paint over the green.  If you purchase a good quality paint (Home Depot, Lowe's etc.) you should be able to cover the green in one - two coats.  (You can purchase one-coat paint!)

Best of luck in your new digs.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology