Decorating & Furniture/painting over high gloss paint

Question
living alone and in a large house with a limited budget i am trying to decorate myself.
the former owners have painted all wood a high gloss grey to match the pitted grey lino! i have removed the lino and there are matt stone tiles underneath - but there are some stubborn pieces of lino which refuse to come off - any idea how i can make the floor glue- and lino free?
and then there's that lovely grey paint! although it would be nice to remove all the paint and have a wood finish i really do not have the time quite yet. what i would love to do would be to paint over the original gloss for a really quick makeover - something very low cost and low energy. again, would you know of any products i could use for this. perhaps not a name brand but more the ingredients - for example this primer needs to contain such and such a chemical... i live in belgium and we may not have the same product names over here.
thank you for your help,
and thank you for adding your name to this site,
sarah

Answer
Hi Sarah,

For the glue, you'll need a strong solvent made specifically for adhesive (check with your building supply store/contractors or with a floor store).  This remover may require heat, so ask at the store.  Most of these products are highly toxic, so please use extreme caution when using them.

As for the high gloss paint, any good quality paint primer and a single coat of high quality paint will cover this without requiring stripping or sanding.

Hope this helps you.  Thanks for writing from Belgium.  

Blessings,
Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik