Decorating & Furniture/painting my livingroom

Dear Rachel, I world like to paint my drabby white walls and get some kind of color scheme going to make it warmer and cozier. We have an oriental rug
with different shades of greens and would like to work around that idea. My husband thinks that only a light shade is good but i would like to make it darker. I might add that the greens I am refering to  must be more foresty ( or natural)not limey or st. patrick's day green. What is my best bet. Also I have one of those textured stucco kind of ceilings.
Is it wise to keep it white? thnx for your help,kat

Dear Kathy,
  If your rug is all green I would try to choose a different color than green for the walls. Your wall color is the main color for that space and to much of one color can seem drab, finding a color that compliments green or another color that is in the room would be a better choice. If you really want to paint green then I would choose a med tone neutral green that is similar to the color in the rug. This would be a comprimise for the both of you and wont seem to dark or to light. If you have tall walls and want to bring the scale down then paint the ceiling as well. If you want the ceiling to feel taller then keep it white. If you want the room to feel wider then paint the ceiling the color of the rug and and paint walls a light color. Hope this helps you out and if you want to do another color besides green and dont know what color to choose, then email me pictures of your living space to and I will help you find a different paint color.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book