Decorating & Furniture/painting techniques

Last year I painted my bathroom in a rose color.  This year I think it's too bright, way too bright!  Is there some type of faux finish or anything else I can do over the color to soften it up a bit?  Thank you

You can sponge or rag roll over the existing color to tone it down without "repainting" the entire wall.  If you opt to sponge it on, use a sea sponge NOT A KITCHEN SPONGE.  If you opt to rag it on, use a clean, lint-free cloth, and have "several spares" on hand so that when the rag gets too soaked you can switch.  

Use the color you have as your base, add one (or two) colors on top of that, ending with the color you most want to see.  

For more specifics on faux painting, Behr has a wonderful CDRom out for $5 (at Home Depot) on the subject and there's also a website called that's most helpful.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology