Decorating & Furniture/painting with vaulted ceilings and adjoining rooms

I just bought a condo and want to get rid of the white. My
question is how to go about painting the walls of adjoining
rooms with a vaulted ceiling. The living room and dining room
are seperated by a fire place and chimney. There is open space
on both side of the chimney to walk around. The ceiling is
vaulted (A frame). I'd like to put a yellow tone in the living room
and a blue in the dining, but I'm not sure what to do when the
walls meet. The rooms share two long walls that stretch between
them. I feel as though I should either leave those white and paint
the remaining two walls and the chimney, or instead of the white
paint those two long walls a neutral color that is complimentary
to the yellow and the blue. Any suggetions?  

Even though the condo is an open concept home, it sounds as though you still have a natural stopping/starting point with the fireplace.  Since you can walk around it, make a choice as to whether to include those walls with the dining room or the living room and start and stop there.  I would most likely consider them living room and go with the yellow.  While I appreciate the ceiling is vaulted, you still have a natural start and stop where the ceiling meets the wall.  Natural points are the place to start and stop color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology