Decorating & Furniture/painting wall mural

I tried to paint a sunset on my bedroom ceiling and it's awful. Now, as I decide what to do to either try to fix it or completely repaint it, I'm drawn by the possibility of painting a mural on one (currently blank) wall that would also include the ceiling space itself. I have a photo to copy - it's a sunset with a lake in the mid ground and some (bare) trees and scrub right in the foreground. I think this would look really neat, but having screwed up so bad on the ceiling, I'm afraid to do it. I've looked on the Internet for advice on painting wall murals, but most of it deals with trompe l'oil (excuse the spelling) and I'm looking more for the type of painting guidance that very soft-spoken man who was on PBS all those years painting "happy trees" in the foreground of his mountain/lake scenes used to provide. Any advice?  

I'm afraid that my artistic talent doesn't lend itself to creating murals.  I know the soft-spoken man of whom you speak, and know that most of the PBS stations still carry shows like his.  My best advice is to check out your local station listings and try to catch one.  There may be some real talent in your area; check with craft stores and the like for referrals.  Otherwise, look to your local college or university for some art classes.  

PS:  There's some excellent info available on "faux" painting at

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology