Decorating & Furniture/painting wood furniture

Dear JoAnne,

I have just painted my kitchen table. My next plan is to stencil small leaves and flowers around the edges of the table.

My question is, once I have applied my stenciled flowers what type of coating should I put on the top of the table?  Someone suggested clear varnish. What do you think I should do?  

Hi Lydia, It sounds like a beautiful table.  You are smart to try and protect your hardwork.  You will want to use a satin polyurethane on your table to make sure the paint doesn't get scratched up. Apply 3-4 coats to truly protect the table. Make sure to use a satin sheen and not a high gloss.  Happy Decorating from the "Queen of Decorating, JoAnne Lenart-Weary

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary

I can answer anything that is decorating related. Wall and window treatments, color, furniture, placement, where to begin with a decorating plan, etc.

Almost 30 years as an interior decorator and 4 years of teaching professional workshops to other interior decorators/designers and interior redesigners. Board member for IRIS www.weredesign, founder of ODDAA (One Day Decorating Alumni Association) Weekly guest for ABC affiliate in Erie, Pa. Have also been on HGTV

Baby Talk Magazine
Many newspapers