Decorating & Furniture/placement of furniture

We have 12x18ft family room with a vaulted ceiling.  The long wall is bare and on the opposite side is a bay window.  The shorter end wall is bare except for an angled corner fireplace next to the bay window, and at the opposite end of the room there is a step down into the room with railings on either side of the entrance way.  How should the furniture be placed and what pieces would you recommend?

Hi Jennifer - thanks for writing.  The room sounds wonderful to me; good sized, natural focal points and a vaulted ceiling, which makes the space appear larger than it is.  

As for furniture, you need to determine what your particular needs are based on your family size, how you want to use the room and the "feel" you want to achieve in the space. For instance, my recommendations would be totally different to a single person using this as a more formal space than it would be for a married person with kids who wants to use it as a family room complete with tv and games.

Since you said family room, I'll assume that's the use you intend and also assume that it will be used as a multi-purpose space.  In that regard, I'd probably opt for a couch, (or a pair of them to sit at right angles of one another if you need that amount of seating) and a couple of oversized chairs with ottomans.  

I'd make the focal point the fireplace (even though it is on an angle) and I'd orient the furniture toward it.  Leaving about 3-4 feet of walking space, place the couch along the longest side (out from the wall 3-4 feet...) and put the second couch (or love seat if that's your preference) at a right angle to it (facing the fireplace).  If you don't need the extra seating, place the oversized chairs at a right angle to the couch (next to one another with a table and lamp in between.)

If you opt for two couches, the two oversized chairs could be placed on the opposite end of the room, perhaps flanking the railings and have a reading lamp and table beside each.   This would give you two very distinct seating areas.  

If you have particular needs that I haven't addressed, please write me back with that info. In any event, your furniture may look best "floating" in the space rather than pushed up against the wall.  

Hope this gives you a starting point.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology