Decorating & Furniture/Not pretty in pink

Question
Dear Jenny,

I just purchased my first home which I love but for one feature-the tile in my bathroom is horrible pepto-bismal pink with black trim. I don't have enough money to change the tile, so I was wondering, is there a color(s) that I could paint the walls that would visually tone down that pink?

Thanks a lot!
Yuliya

Answer
Check your local yellow pages for painters who specialize in bath remodels.  Tile can be painted, but you must use a non-pourous primer like Kilz or Benz, then use a paint formulated for tile.  It's available in small quantities at your local craft store (for tile and/or glass - self-curing).  There is a paint process that pro's use as well.  Check it out.

To tone down pink, use the most neutral shade of green that you can pair with it.  (I know...it sounds awful with the black, but green is the color opposite of red/pink.)

You could always paint taupe/beige/white and play up the pink and black?  You might also consider sponging on a tile paint to create a triage of color.  Pink, black, white?  The color you apply last shows most.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik