Decorating & Furniture/problem light switch location

I have a very large blank wall in my kitchen with a 6-switch light switch in a problem location.  I have checked and it would be prohibitive for me to have the light switch moved to another location.  The switch is above the wainscoting, in an area where I want to hang large paintings or wall accessories.  I can just ignore it and hang things around it but it looks like I'm treating it as part of the grouping!  Any ideas?  My only thought is to put a baker's rack or shelf unit and place a plant in front of it, and hope that it doesn't make turning on the lights inconvenient.  What do you think?  

That's one alternative! Another is to paint (or wallpaper) the switch plate/switches exactly like the wall which results in the plate and switches visually "disappearing".  I'll warn you though - it won't work on a white wall unless you completely and thoroughly cover it with "exactly" the same white.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology