Decorating & Furniture/red couches

We have red leather in the living room and black tables and  wrought iron accent pieces. It looks really nice but we dont know what color to paint it.

Right now, it is a pale eggshell color.

Thanks for your question.  I have two suggestions for you - either will give you great results.  One is to use a medium shade of smoky grey (not the palest, not the darkest, but somewhere in between - like mid-way up on the paint chip sample) or my all-time favorite and most recommeded color - taupe (Glidden's Toasty Grey).  It's more toast than grey, but it's a beautiful color that adds just the right amount of "color" to a wall.  

Actually, a third alternative is to use red's color opposite (green) and do it in a pale to medium celery or moss green (this avoids the "christmas" look).  

Either/any of these will go great with your furnishings, so now you get to choose.  Glidden paints are available at Home Depot as well as Glidden paint stores nationwide.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology