Decorating & Furniture/room color

Question
my family has a game roon of sorts. It has a foos ball table, computer, tv and ps2 game.  I'm trying to make it seem warm and inviting so the kids like having friends over as well as comfortabe for adults.   the furniture is a dark warm brown and all the acent colors are black. we also have a black futon in the room. what colors would be good to paint this room, i want it to be warm. I was even thing burnt orange or brick red. something that would go with the black. what do you think? I have never used such bold color befor and i'm nervious.

Answer
Mary,

Thanks for writing.  You're absolutely right - you need to add some wonderful color to the space to make it inviting and comfortable.  Since you're working with dark browns and blacks, the world of color is open to you.

Adding red tones will add excitement to the space; greens and blues add a cool, calming influence and a touch of the outdoors, and dark neutrals like taupe add a backdrop that will support any kind of accessory colors you may add.  Orange is a happy, optomistic shade, as is brick red.  If you want warmth, add a warm color like dark yellow, red-orange, terra cotta or nutmeg (one of my favorites!).  Nutmeg is a browner tone of terra cotta, and it's a "manly" shade that won't offend the sensibilities of the sports guy while warming up the space for the more "feminine" sports fanatic.

Go for it.  It's only paint!

Jenny

PS:  Add some vibrant color via throw pillows, throws and art.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik