Decorating & Furniture/room colors (furniture, walls) and floor (wood or carpet?)

Question
I am a college student who needs to keep life simple! I am removing all the clutter from my room at home and want to give it a facelift before school starts this fall. I have a small 10'x13' room with one window. I have tried to arrange the furniture to make the most use of the space and leave myself with a space to add a big comfy chair to read or study in. (see picture at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/nurumla/new/kroom.jpg). Walls are currently sea foam green and I'm tired of it. The big corner computer table/desk and file cabinet all need to be painted. The t.v. cabinet can also be painted. the only things my mom would prefer me not paint are the oak chest of drawers and the white wash footboard and headboard for the bed (it is half of a this end up bunk bed set). I flip-flop on carpet (grey, but it won't go with the oak?) or a wood laminate floor (would have to have an area rug to dampen sound? and make it comfy for my feet). I want color, but don't want it to define the room. I like blue. I'm not big on pastels. I like jewel tones also. I am taking the mirror bi-fold doors off the closet and hanging a shower curtain, sheet or panel of fabric there because the furniture extends about 6" into the closet door opening on both sides, but I want my big comfy chair! Help? I can't figure out what color to paint the walls and desk and "curtain" for the closet, and what to do with the floor. The bed comforter is open for discussion also as my mom sews. I am considering covering the bottom three shelves of the bookcase with fabric on a spring rod to cut down on dust collection there. And just to complicate it more, the hutch on top of the corner computer desk can be removed and stored elsewhere. Hopefully the floor plan will help. Thanks! Kaitlyn

Answer
Congrats on starting by de-cluttering!With your mom's permission (of course) why not paint your walls a medium to dark shade of your favorite (blue?) color.  If you want to "paint" furniture, then why not paint it to look like your headboard?  A wash is an easy technique (www.fauxlikeapro.com will show you step by step) and then everything in the room will coordinate.  Put your bed in the center of the wall that has the shortest side (10 feet)and have it run lengthwise (13 feet side). Try and eliminate the oversized computer table and find something smaller that will perhaps accomodate the tv and the computer (shelves?) and then you'll have room for a chair.

As for the floor, wood laminate is wonderful, but you will need a rug.  Carpet?  Opt for a berber in a pale shade with flecks of other color in it.  

Keep your bed linens bold, and coordinate your curtains with it.  That will draw attention to the bed and away from the furniture.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik