Decorating & Furniture/rug placement under sectional sofa

Hi Alicia,

this is Leslie again- thanks for the quick reply but the answer
doesn't really help me. :( I need to know what the dos and donts
are regarding placing rugs underneath coffe tables and sectional
when the rug has a bold border. If I can't center the pattern, maybe
I need to get a carpet without a border? Can the rug go underneath
the couch? Can it surpass the sectional ends? Please help!

Hi Leslie,
The border should not be cut off by a table...the size of the rug should be large enough to fit both the sofa and table (without cutting off edges).

Glass coffee tables are great with designs in the center of rugs.  Place the rug under the couch so the front feet will stabilize it.  If there is a border, that's okay, no problem...borders actually assist in visually "anchoring" the carpet.

The width can be wider than the couch. The depth is important as you should be able to center the coffee table comfortably.  Now, due to this larger size it actually looks more like an actual "carpet" placed on the floor.  Be wary of purchasing a rug that is too small!

Good Luck again,
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID  

Decorating & Furniture

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA