Decorating & Furniture/rug selection

Hi Jenny, i am seeking info on choosing antique rugs or just basic rugs.  i need to know what is the rule of thumb on color/pattern selection.   i have a huge room that is L shaped with a piano in one corner. the other corner on opposite end of piano is a study/computer area.. the largest rectangle area is the family room with fp.  all room is old heart pine floors.  do my rugs need to be the same kind of rug?.  i know they don't need to be the same pattern but can i do persian and contemporary as long as colors do okay? or can colors vary totally?   i have alot of original art, lots of color.  i want my home to look like it took me 20 years to get this way not 6 months.  thank you jenny   you have helped me before with my mahogany piano on the old floor!  thank you it looks great   chris

Thanks for writing again!  Rugs used in the same "space" (considering you're talking about an open area) should coordinate in color, but not necessarily in style.  Remember this - if you love it, it goes.  If you want to accent one area more than another, or are using the rugs to define a particular space, make them dis-similar in design, but similar in color palette.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology