Decorating & Furniture/sectional sofa

My husband and I are in the processing of starting to build and I am trying to picture my new home! I love sectional sofas, but am wondering how it would look in our Living room. It's just a normal square 18x18 room. Are sectionals best for a specific "shaped" room? I don't want it pushed against a wall, would it look out of place sorta in the middle of the room?

Hi Joy,

Yesterday I wrote you this lovely note about your sectional, and then my computer crashed!!  Yikes!  Anywhoodles, regarding your question about sections and placing the pieces "in the middle of the room."  This is called 'floating' furniture and is a GREAT way to pack a wonderful punch of interest in the room.  When furniture is pushed up against a wall, it can 1) tend to make the room smaller, & 2) limit your options for the look and ingress and egress of the room.

Sectionals have always been popular, even though I personally stayed away from them for years... I came back to them as they really do fit a tremendous need and they can totally make a room!

I would totally recommend floating your furniture whenever possible remembering to leave yourself plenty of room (3 feet as per ASID standards) on each end to allow for easy access to seating.

Thank you for writing.

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.