Decorating & Furniture/selecting a paint color for a dark kitchen

Question
Hello,

I have a very dark kitchen with dark cherry cabinets, black and tan granite and dark wood floors. There is also a fireplace in our kitchen that is black. Our appliances are also black. My instincts tell me to paint the room a yellow gold color to brighten it a bit and I would like to lighten up the fireplace, too. What do you think?

Thank you!
Lisa

Answer
I must say Lisa that I agree.

I think a rich sunflower yellow would be the perfect choice with so much dark wood as you need a colour that is strong but also brings light.

Depending on how much of the wall you can actually see, you might decide that to paint it all bright yellow is a little over-powering in which case I would suggest you paint some of the walls in a rich cream and some in the bright yellow.

It is hard to comment on the fireplace without seeing it but you may find that painting the actual fireplace itself is tricky (possibly needing specialist heat resistant paints) and that painting round it, putting candles in it, placing decorative items on the mantle etc would be the better option.

Adding a stunning piece of abstract art above the fireplace would add impact and brightness and draw the eye away from the fireplace itself.  

I love abstract art for creating impact and as long as you pick something where the same kind of yellow you have used on your walls is apparent, you can't really go wrong.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston