Decorating & Furniture/selecting wallpaper/paint

I have a medium blue couch with peach as the secondary color.  I am desperately trying to find some type of neutral color pallete that would work in my living room as well as blending into my dining room without making it look like one big room.  I have beige vertical blinds in the living room (approx. 14 ft wide) and beige curtains with off-white shears in the dining room.  I'm wondering how I can blend them and still have separate rooms.  I would like to paper the top half of the living room and paint the bottom seperated by a border or chair rail painted the same color?  any suggestions?  Thank you so much for your help

So what you actually have are three colors:  medium blue, peach and beige (off-white).  My suggestion is to use either the peach or a pale shade of the same blue for your walls.  Incorporate the other color (either the peach or the blue) into your draperies, keeping your sheers off-white.

To differentiate between the rooms, consider using the chair rail in the dining area only and paint it white or stain it to match your dining room furniture.  If you have a natural stopping point between the two rooms, paint one of them in the peach (I'd opt for the dining room) and the other in a pale blue.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology