Decorating & Furniture/sheets

I wasn't sure which category would cover this question, but you seemed so knowledgeable I hope you can help.  I am purchasing new sheets, and am also looking at down comforters for my new bedroom suite. (king size).  How is thread count evaluated?  Is 200 good, or too cheap?  Is 600 luxury, or only moderate?  I am curious for both sheets and down comforters, and am not sure how they rank.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  Indeed, I know sheets and comforters - particularly down comforters.  I have two in my house and I live in Florida.  

Linen thread counts are very important.  The HIGHER the thread count the more luxurious, soft and normally pricey they are.  The number refers to the number of fibers per square inch, so you can see that a 600 thread count has a lot more "fiber" than a 200.  

You can find some great bargains on higher thread count linens at places like TJMaxx, Marshall's and the like.  Egyptian cotton is another "higher" quality fabric.

The higher the count, the softer to the touch, and the longer it will wear.

Happy shopping!

P.S.  Purchase your comforter based on what it's made of.  Down is the most expensive, and comes in many weights (that's why I have a lightweight one - in Florida that I use year round).  Other "fillers" cost less but don't hold up as well as true "down".  Be careful of allergies to duck down -- read the labels!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology