Decorating & Furniture/slipcovers

I have just moved into a home twice the size of my previous home and would like to slipcover used furniture so I have something to put into this house.  My question is I am not really experienced in sewing but I am creative and would like to learn how to make custom slipcovers with inexpensive material. My style is french shabby chic and I read somewhere that painters dropcloth can be used for slipcovers if laundered well to make soft.  Can you provide me with any advice?  I also would like to find a way to purchase a particular sofa that I cannot afford.  Do you have any advice for how to get it on clearance or from an outlet?  It's a curved sofa either from Shabby Chic or Arhaus furniture.  Thanks for your help.  P.S. I have been trying to find a large (apprx. 6 ft.) antique wall clock and have had no luck.

Dear Cynthia,
   I have slipcovered sofas with fabric and sheets. You can use curtain fabric to. If the sofa has cushions that come out of the sofa, you can tightly wrap the fabric over the cushion and then staple down on the bottom. You might want to add a thin piece of cardboard to staple in between the cushion and the fabric. I dont think I would suggest painters dropcloth, it just doesnt seem very comfortable no matter what you do to it. My best advice is to hit the thrift stores for the best bargain, especially since you are going with the shabby chic style sofa. Some things dont fall right into place, but if you look hard enough it will come someday, probabbly when you least expect it.

Good Luck,
Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book