Decorating & Furniture/small bedroom windows

My question is - I have a 70's ranch style home, with two short, high and wide windows in the Master Bed room. It does make it easy to arrange the furniture, but I can not decide what to put on the windows. My furniture is the Big Post Bed room suit. I have a King size bed two side tables, and a large chest of drawers. So, this style is in keeping with the 70's. I do not know how to decorate the windows.They start about four feet above the floor and are only about 24 inches tall, but 80 something inches wide. Please let me know if you have any ideas about how to decorate these two windows.

Thanks in advance,
PG Baecher

Season's Best:

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I am familiar with the type windows you describe, and they can be tricky to "decorate" with and around.  My best suggestion to you is to do one of the following:  

1)  Treat the windows as one single window, draping it from the ceiling to the floor, and over the entire width with a drapery.  A traverse rod would be great here and will allow you to "pull" the draperies open from the middle toward both sides.  I'd also use an under-drape or curtain the same length and width.  

The trick here is to fool the eye by visually enlarging the windows.

2)  Use the windows as a "headboard" for your bed, draping each side (floor to ceiling) and sheering fabric in between the drapes for a "headboard" appearance.

Either of these will work for you.  If there are other windows in the room (and there's probably another pair on a different wall) treat them in the same manner as either #1 or #2. It will update your look from the 70's straight into the new century!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology