Decorating & Furniture/small bedroom windows

Question
Hello,
My question is - I have a 70's ranch style home, with two short, high and wide windows in the Master Bed room. It does make it easy to arrange the furniture, but I can not decide what to put on the windows. My furniture is the Big Post Bed room suit. I have a King size bed two side tables, and a large chest of drawers. So, this style is in keeping with the 70's. I do not know how to decorate the windows.They start about four feet above the floor and are only about 24 inches tall, but 80 something inches wide. Please let me know if you have any ideas about how to decorate these two windows.

Thanks in advance,
PG Baecher

Answer

Season's Best:

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I am familiar with the type windows you describe, and they can be tricky to "decorate" with and around.  My best suggestion to you is to do one of the following:  

1)  Treat the windows as one single window, draping it from the ceiling to the floor, and over the entire width with a drapery.  A traverse rod would be great here and will allow you to "pull" the draperies open from the middle toward both sides.  I'd also use an under-drape or curtain the same length and width.  

The trick here is to fool the eye by visually enlarging the windows.

2)  Use the windows as a "headboard" for your bed, draping each side (floor to ceiling) and sheering fabric in between the drapes for a "headboard" appearance.

Either of these will work for you.  If there are other windows in the room (and there's probably another pair on a different wall) treat them in the same manner as either #1 or #2. It will update your look from the 70's straight into the new century!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik