Decorating & Furniture/small room/strong color?

i have a smallish family room with 8 foot ceilings.  there are 3 glass doors in the room so it has a lot of light throughout the day.  i really want to find a red color to use but i can't find the perfect one.

is there a way to work with white molding (ie..  thicker molding around doors and baseboard, or chair rails or wainscoting) to offset the strong color and keep the room from being overpowering.  the effect i'm looking for  is homey and traditional rather than modern and striking.

i keep finding behr's lipstick color just perfect on the color card but i have a feeling it might be very bright in large quantities and not at all what i'm looking for.  why i don't just buy a gallon and try it out?  because i have 2 small children and a whole house to try to decorate (we recently moved in) and i just can't keep repainting... it's already taken us 4 months just to finish drywalling a leaky mess.

i would appreciate any advice you could give me!

The color you see on the Behr swatch is about 99.9% accurate in how it will appear on the wall.  You can certainly use the color in the family room, and a great way to break up the red is with moldings.  Paint them a crisp white for some great contrast.  Add some pale shades of green (celery, sage etc.) as accessory pieces and your room will be comfy and cozy.

PS:  If you like the color - go for it.  If you're still afraid, look at a more cranberry shade of red.  And, look at other colors on the same Behr swatch.  They're all derivatives of the same base red.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology