Decorating & Furniture/small space

Question
I own a 210sq.ft. condo (old motel room) at the beach. It has a small kitchenette,queen-size bed, small dinnette set, and bureau. how can I make the most of this space? It has sliding glass doors out to ocean.

Answer
The very best thing you can do to make the most of the space you have is to be extremely organized!  In small spaces, you should make every piece of furniture multi-functional, eliminate any excess "clutter" and assign everything you own a "home".  (Make sure that when you aren't using something, it's stored in it's "home".)  

Since your sliding glass doors go out to the ocean, use mirrors to "reflect" the ocean and bring in more light.  You may even want to do an entire wall in mirrors or mirrored tile to visually increase your space.  

Keep your color palette neutral --- not white --- there's a neutral shade of every color, but don't get too many colors going in this small a space.  Make sure the flooring treatment is the same throughout (visually makes the floor space larger) and paint everything  (walls and ceilings) in a soothing color.

If you like nautical shades of color, select a seafoam green, a pale blue and a shade of white.  Coordinate everything in the space into one of those three colors.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik