Decorating & Furniture/small space

I own a 210sq.ft. condo (old motel room) at the beach. It has a small kitchenette,queen-size bed, small dinnette set, and bureau. how can I make the most of this space? It has sliding glass doors out to ocean.

The very best thing you can do to make the most of the space you have is to be extremely organized!  In small spaces, you should make every piece of furniture multi-functional, eliminate any excess "clutter" and assign everything you own a "home".  (Make sure that when you aren't using something, it's stored in it's "home".)  

Since your sliding glass doors go out to the ocean, use mirrors to "reflect" the ocean and bring in more light.  You may even want to do an entire wall in mirrors or mirrored tile to visually increase your space.  

Keep your color palette neutral --- not white --- there's a neutral shade of every color, but don't get too many colors going in this small a space.  Make sure the flooring treatment is the same throughout (visually makes the floor space larger) and paint everything  (walls and ceilings) in a soothing color.

If you like nautical shades of color, select a seafoam green, a pale blue and a shade of white.  Coordinate everything in the space into one of those three colors.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology