Decorating & Furniture/spotlights

I really like the effect of spotlights or downlighters,but because were renting a house we can't use them.What kind of light can we use to get the same effect?There are spotlights that aren't directly fitted into the wall the ones that are like a studying lamp but are on the ceiling,will they give the same effect?
Also the kitchen has white ceramic tiles on the walls,the floor is awful and we'll put vinyl sheets to cover it but I'm not sure what colour,the worktops are cream marble and the cuboards are dark brown wood,its possible we can change the marble to suit the rest of the kitchen,do you have any ideas what we can do?I don't think it would look nice if we changed the mable to white marble and got white vinyl,I'm not sure if the dark brown wood and white go well together.

You can use "uplights" to achieve a similar effect.  They're available almost everywhere and run about $8-$10 each.  The other option is the new track lighting with spots instead of cans.  Home Depot has them in several configurations for about $140.

The biggest problem in your kitchen appears to be the cabinets.  If you can lighten them, paint them to match the marble, and leave the marble alone.  Other than removing it or covering it with another permanent surface (NOT paint) you'll have to live with it.  

Take the emphasis off the marble by addressing the cabinets and floor.  Peel and stick has come a long way in flooring, and you can find something wonderful for about a buck a tile.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology