Decorating & Furniture/stairwell walls need something

I have a dutch colonial 2 story home and can't figure out what to do with the stairwell walls. As you enter through the front door the stairs are on your left along the side of the house. The walls are currently painted a flat white. It seems as though they are always dirty from fingers and hands as people come up and down the stairs. I have thought about using wallpaper but it seems so complicated on stairs. A horizontal border seems like a good idea but how? I need to figure out how to make the walls more user friendly. Some sort of texturizing might work, any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Dawn

Personally I always look for the cheap and easy way to do something and the thought of wallpapering a stairwell fills me with horror.  I think that is definitely a job for professionals and unless you are very lucky and know someone who can help you out, that probably means a lot of money.

Wallpaper borders can look good but they can look a bit dated too so you need to be careful.  They are a bit tricky on stairs and you have to measure up from each stair and draw a sloping pencil line to line up your border against.

I think if it were me I might go for a look that I really like which is to use a whole load of pictures and photos in all different shapes and sizes and arrange them in a random way on the wall leaving little in the way of gaps.  Lay them out on the floor first until you get the look you like.

Obviously it is up to you what sort of pictures you use but I have seen people use pictures of their own children growing up with the baby pictures at the bottom and the children getting older the higher you climb.

Another idea is to use pictures you have taken yourself on holiday of all the great places you may have been.  It needn't be expensive - you can even use pictures you have cut out from magazines but I think it is important to have them all framed (preferably with a mount too) but you can get such a great variety of frames in High Street stores now at such reasonable that it will still cost you a lot less than a decorator would.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit