Decorating & Furniture/Where to start

I really don't know where to begin.My house is 3 years old and still all white walls!!I have catheral ceilings and an open floor plan with living room and dinning kitchen area open to each other.I do know that I plan to have all of the carmel colored carpet out and either laminate or wood flooring put in.Do I go with light or dark wood? I know I want a nice area rug in the living room and my sofa,I want to use it.Its fairly new and I saw it in a magazine and had to have it!However,it's very tradtional looking(I could e-mail a picuture) yet the house is somewhat modern has what called an origami ceiling.I think my style would be "eclectic".I like lots of different colors.Was thinking somekind of soft yellow on walls,white on the ceilings and one of the small walls in the livingroom would like a "Pop" of color.
Please help,dont know where to start.

Start with your wall color decisions, then select your preference of light or dark wood for the floor.  If you like more traditional "looks" then opt for a darker floor.  You say you are "ecclectic" in your decorating, so perhaps a middle of the road approach is best for you; not light, not dark but medium in tone, like a warm golden oak.

Whatever your decision on flooring, continue it for all the open areas.  

Yellow is a great color, but it's a very difficult color too.  Stay away from very pale shades or very bright shades of yellow.  Because of its tranlucent color combinations, it tends to take a lot of coats to get the right color.  

If you want to be neutral, yet warm, consider using a medium shade of wood, a taupe shade for your walls and keep your wood trims white.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology