Decorating & Furniture/sunroom challenges

I have an enclosed sunroom with large windows completely across 3 walls. The fourth wall is exposed, ugly orange & beige brick. The ceiling is dark brown vinyl, the windows are all trimed in medium tone brown stained pine, and there is carpet on the floor. The front wall over looks a large lake. I'd like to soften the look of the room while honoring my husband's desire not to paint the wood trims of the windows. Any suggestions for color or how to address the brick wall, flooring, etc. ?

Hi Sue,

Ok... a few challenges here!  First of all, my suggestion would be to get rid of the carpet unless you really love it.  Consider prefinished wood floors... good segue to the great outdoors! I would consider painting the brick, either a nice crisp white, a soft stone color.  As for the dark brown vinyl ceiling... you can replace it or paint it, but I wouldn't leave it dark brown.  If you have white painted brick fireplace, and reasonably light wood floors, and a painted ceiling in a soft color.... you can leave the stained pine window trim.  You want to choose some colors to paint that will soften the pine trim.  Keep the colors similar, warm tones.  

If putting in wood flooring is too expensive, you can replace the carpeting with a nice commercial style carpet, perhaps one that has a little pattern in it, such as tone on tone leaves, etc.  

Remember to keep your windows as open as possible, in other words, don't cover the glass.  If you choose your tones correctly, you can make the room appear as though it is part of, or an extension of the outside!!

Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.