Decorating & Furniture/table clearence

Question
We have a very small cottage house (800Sq Ft) and would like to knock out the wall between our eat in 8X16 kitchen/dining and our 15x16 living room.  When we refigure the kitchen eating area what is the minimum requirement for a table?  There are only two of us and currently we can not eat in there at all due to the cabinet lay out and that it gets so hot from being closed off.  I'm thinking that everyday use I would push a table up against the wall, however when in use what minimun space would I need?  I want to add as much counter space as I can with an island and still be able to have 4 maybe 6 at a table if we have guests. We never have children in our house so that is not an issue.

Instead of leaving the kitchen area as half kitchen and half dining I was contemplating making it all kitchen with a drop table pushed up to the back of the island that can sit 2-8 people when opened.  Thus giving us the flexibilty and creating a larger kitchen since I love to cook.

Answer
If you want to be able to seat 2 - 8 people, you'll have to consider a table top no smaller than 72"; 6 can sit at a round 60".  You must also have room for the chairs (or a place to store extras) and room for people to pull out their seats from the table without bumping into anything.  

Your last paragraph describes your best option - either install a banquette or a drop-leaf table.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik