Decorating & Furniture/table for kitchen

Space in my kitchen (cherry cabinets-light color formica/light color beige floor/tapestry wall paper)
the place where the table is 7'8" wide x 8' long. have a  54" long x36" wide oak table. has  2 board for extension, when I  need to use. Question: I feel the table is too big for the area. What size and finished  table would you recommend. The cabinets are a beautiful cherry wood, and planninng to change the floor to tile. I feel jammed with this size table. Holiday's I need to sit 8 people at this table.
Thanks, for any information you can give me.

Dear Joyce,
    If your space for the table is 7'-8" X 8' long then I dont think it is possible to fit eight people comfortably at one table. Since I dont know how your eating area is layed out, it is hard for me give you any suggestions. Are there any children that can sit at another table? I am sorry I cannot help you more. Are you able to send a sketch of your floor plan?

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book