Decorating & Furniture/teen boys room

Question
My 14 year old wants us to paint his room a medium blue to match a border that has Atlanta Braves color. I was told by friends if we decide ever to sell our house, somebody will not want it because it is too dark. His room is 15x12. It has 2 windows. He also wants to use white laminate cabinets for his storage. I know it is odd, but this is what he wants. Do you think it would be too dark and somebody would not buy it because ...

Answer
Hi Joanne,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  First of all, many people use this "it will never resell" as an excuse to keep walls white.  

Granted, there are many people who look at homes and cannot visualize their own belongings in the space.  There are an equal number of people who cannot make a decision about color, and therefore they leave everything white.  These people in touring your home, may feel that your son's room is bright, but for goodness sake, don't disappoint your son or stifle his creativity because someone "might"...  If and when you opt to put your house on the market, you can repaint the room or give the new purchaser a paint allowance if they object.  

Then there are people like me, and your son, who want to surround ourselves with colors that we love.  We see what "can be" out of "what is".  

If he loves the blue, I think it's great.  Adding white laminate storage will be a designer's dream!  It will NOT be too dark.

I encourage everyone I work with and answer questions for, to surround themselves with colors and things that make your heart sing.  I also encourage parents to listen to their children and involve their children in the decision making for their decor.  

You've listened to your son (applause) and he obviously has good tastes (I'd tell you if he didn't) and be happy that your 14 year old is interested in such things as his room!  You are blessed.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik