Decorating & Furniture/terazzo floor

We purchased a villa-type unit furnished but not my style of furnishings. We're close to the gulf.   We've had the terazzo floor redone and it looks great.  It is white with black, olive, off white, and several shades of grey.  I'd like a tropical look with blues and greens and aquas--something really bright.  I have a wonderful modern screen with fishes and manatees in shades of aquas, purples, yellows, and green that I'd like to use but not sure about it-- or maybe something softer with peachey and green.  I also want to paint the white walls something other than a neutral color as I have done with previous housing for the last 30 years.  The room is 13 x 34 and serves as living area as well as dining area.  I also like cottage type furniture but not New England type rugs--lighthouses, anchors.  What kind of area rug can I put down?  Am I limited because of the coloring in the terazzo floor.  Do I start with the area rug and work from there?  Or do I get furniture and say the heck with the coloring in the floor?  Thanks for your suggestions.  

You have lots of options on where to start.  I'd probably recommend using a sisal or otherwise "matt like" rug in a solid, natural color like bamboo or wheat.  By doing so, you've opened up a world of possibilities for your furniture since the sisal/jute etc. now creates a neutral floor.

And "yeah" to you for wanting to paint your walls some color other than white.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology