Decorating & Furniture/We are thinking of getting...

We are thinking of getting new carpet for the living room. The carpet will probably be a neutral in the warm tones.  The wall with the fireplace is painted deep red, the rest of the walls are a light tan. Window trim is stained wood, as well as baseboards and door trim.  We have oak coffee and sofa table and large mirror frame in what I think is oak. We also have 2 large beams in stained wood going across the ceiling (really nice, actually).
My question is; can we paint the trim & baseboards without it looking disjointed?  I don't think my husband wants to paint the furniture.  I realize I'll have to probably paint the rest of the upstairs trim in the same color dining room & hallway anyways. ( We have oak cabinets in the kitchen also.)  It isn't totally open, but open enough to where I think we'd have to continue whatever color we chose for the living room.  Can you mix stained wood and painted wood?  
Also, we are thinking about ripping up the carpeting of our bedroom and putting in a wood floor with an area rug. We have 2 oak dressers and nightstand as well as an oak mission style bed. How much wood is too much?
Have I asked enough questions?
I know it's a lot, but thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.

Typically, wood trims including all installed cabinetry, other than kitchen/bath, built-ins, door facings, moldings, window sills etc. are the same in a home.  It makes your home more "continuous" to have adjoining rooms trims the same.  

That is not to say you cannot change it.  It's up to you, the homeowner and the person who lives there to make that decision!  

In your particular situation, I'd do all the woodwork in one room the same.  Since it's all stained now, I'd either leave it stained, or paint everything, including the open beams.  I would not mix painted and stained trims on the same floor.  

Your bedroom floor is again personal preference.  If you like the look and feel of wood, then go for it.  I personally love wood, especially oak, and adding an area rug gives you another opportunity to add some color and texture to the space.  

Too much wood?  I don't think so.  I like the clean, sleak look of wood.  If you do too, then surround yourself with it.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology