Decorating & Furniture/In a tight fix

Hey, Jenny. I'm a long time reader, first time writer. I recently bought my very first home, which by itself is in dire need of a complete overhaul.

For now, I'm focusing on the bedroom, which is 16x15. There's a mantle with a fireplace inlay surrounding a gas heater, with some blue and white marbled tile as the hearth. There's also a wood trim going across the walls about 1/3 of the way down from the ceiling, and three large windows allowing for excellent light into the room.

My question is about what colour carpet/walls I should use. At the time, budget's tight, and I think my only choice for time being is a middle-to-dark blue commercial grade carpet.

That in mind, what should I do with the walls? Or would it be better to draw the blue into the walls instead? I feel like I should be using blue mainly because of the fireplace-mantle, but I know about as much about interior design as I do about the inside of the moon.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for reading (and writing)!  Decide first if you like the blue tile and want to play it up.  If you do, then opting for the mid-range blue carpet is fine.  I'm confident that the commercial grade carpet is probably "mottled" rather than solid; incorporating other colors on a blue background.  

With that carpet in mind, consider using a taupe or a khaki color for the walls.  You could opt for a paler shade of blue, but I think adding the taupe would create more interest.  

The trim should be done in a white, including the trim that is near the ceiling.  This will look terrific with either the taupe or the khaki wall color.  

Hope this helps you!  Write back as you move from room to room!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology