Decorating & Furniture/trim color

I am currently building a home and have chosen a neutral tone for my walls a tan tone called squirrels tail by Martha Stewart.  I have chosen to lighten that color for the bedrooms to 50% of squirrels tail.  The wall color is just what I wanted but now the question is what do I do with the trim color.  The painters are telling me that white trim is out and a lighter color of the same palette would look better.  Now, I can't decide if I should use the standard white or go with a color along the same palette.  The reason I am questioning the white is because we have chosen 5 in. baseboards.  They are beautiful but I am afraid it will look like a train track going around my house.

I'm familiar with the color, and I like it very much.  As for your trim, either white or a muted shade of the squirrel will work for you.  When deciding, take into consideration that every trim should be the same - around windows, doors, ceiling moldings etc.  The only exception to the all one trim color rule are built in wood pieces.  

White will contrast with the wall color, and I personally find that preferable, but it's up to you and your own good taste.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology