Decorating & Furniture/unit colour design

Hi Jenny

I have moved into a small unit i have recently purchased and have tried three times now to come up with a colour scheme i like. My lounge furniture is light brown, as is my dining table. The unit is an open plan design, with one long room incorporating kitchen dining and lounge. There are two smallish bedrooms off to the side. The walls are cement render. I have a light brown wood floor. The kitchen towards the end of the long room has dark gray granite benchtops, with light green cupboards. I Painted all walls white now, because my previous two attempts at colour were pretty hideous.The unit faces north, and where I am, means it recieves plenty of light through the large sliding doors which open to a smallish balcony.
ps. Im not happy with the white colour either, it gives a somewhat sterile impression like a hospital or doctors surgery.
Please help me if you can!!

You need to select your favorite color and paint the entire space in it.  With white, you're always facing sterile.  If you're still unsure, take your color cues from what's there and cannot be changed, i.e., the light green in the kitchen, paired with the dark gray.  You can either invert these colors (using the grey for the walls and the light green as accents; or vice versa) or keep them the same.  What I'm suggesting is not a "match" to the color but something that you like within that color family.  The grays and greens are abundant, and both are earth tones.  Look into gray walls, bright white trim and accents of green throughout.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology