Decorating & Furniture/updating french provincial furniture

Question
Hi Jenny. I'm getting ready to move into my first apartment (recent college grad) and I'm having a lot of my furniture given to me. My most recent acquisition is a french provincial style bedroom set, painted in a horrible pale yellow with white trim. I think it's french provincial, anyway.. it matches what i've looked up, except that the fronts of the dressers are flat and do not curve outward like some i've seen. My tastes are generally somewhat modern and far from frilly, so this set is pretty much the opposite of my personal style. The lines are very curvy and curly--basically this is a very girly set! I'm wondering if it would be at all possible to update this furniture--mainly by painting, but also by doing some other things in the room that would offset the style a bit. the colors i would like to work with are much bolder, such as magenta, turquoise, cobalt, lime, and lavender. I love stripes and geometric figures, and my bedding can be found at walmart.com --it's the no boundaries vertigo set, if you'd like to get an idea.
So basically, I need help! This furniture is exactly the wrong direction I wanted to go with my bedroom, but it is a very high quality, old set and I want to give it a try. Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Answer
By all means, update the furniture with a coat of paint.  Do a light sanding (with medium grit sandpaper), wipe the surface clean with a dry soft cloth and then paint.  

Choose a color that will match your decor, and stay with a shade that will carry you over to the "next" round of bedding.  You may even want to consider a solid white lacquer or a black lacquer.  

The "style" will disappear when paired with your geometrics and vivid colors.  Go for it!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik