Decorating & Furniture/wall color

I have stone colored furniture and a wedgewood blue carpet
in my living room.  I want to paint the walls, but not sure what color to use.  Right now the walls are cream color and my room is small 11'x14'.  Any ideas?

Hi Marcia

What sort of look are you going for?

In a small room you don't want to add too much in the way of colour as it could be a bit overpowering and make the room appear small.

Stone, wedgewood blue and cream could form the basis of a very elegant room colour scheme and if elegant is what you are aiming for you are on the right track.

It could be a little cold though - are you hoping to warm the room up a bit?  Or give it a more contemporary look?

If that is you intention I suggest you throw something bright into the mix - bright blue, shocking pink or lime green for example.

Keeping the furniture and carpet you already have, you simply need to find a fabric that includes one, or better still both, of your colours and brings in a third colour.  Something like one of these might be good:

Use the fabric to make a couple of cushions or pillows for the sofa:

or a wall panel:

I would also suggest you use pick one of the colours - the blue for example - and paint one wall in that colour which will give you colour and impact without making the room seem small.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit