Decorating & Furniture/wall color to compliment furniture

I have a living room with Asian furniture in red lacquer finish..not a bright lipstick red, but a deeper red. My couch and loveseat are a reddish wine color. It is a small apartment living room, with a couch, loveseat, and the Asian coffee table, end table, and bigscreen TV table. The carpet is tan, and the walls offwhite. I want to paint two walls a contrasting color to the large offwhite wall. I was thinking red at first, but I know that would be too much red for the room and way overpowering, Any suggestions? Thank you so much--Dave

The red that you have sounds beautiful.  I wouldn't create a red wall ... too much red.  Consider a taupe (either Glidden's Toasty Grey or Squirrel).  Toasty grey is more toast than grey, and squirrel has a bit more black and a hint of green in it - otherwise the color of a squirrel.  They're both beautiful with red and not overpowering for the space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology