Decorating & Furniture/wall colors and accents

Hello, i have a brown leather furniture set I inherited. I would like to put it in the basement to make a entertainment space. I have black & white tiles on the floor.I would like to do a western theme,I have no idea what color to put on the walls,or accent colors for area rug or maybe carpet under the funiture and leave the rest bl& wh tile Help???  Thank you, Wendy

Thanks for writing.  If a Western theme is your choice, you may want to consider using a sandy shade of taupe for your walls.  My favorite taupe is Glidden's Toasty Grey, available at Home Depot.

An area rug underneath the furniture is a great idea too.  Opt for a large white "furry" kind of rug or a solid color in a neutral.  Over that, layer a "faux" cowhide rug.  This will tie in all your colors and add credibility to your theme, and allow you to leave the floor as is.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

PS:  There are lots of rug choices at  You also may be able to find some faux cowhide at your local fabric store!  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology