Decorating & Furniture/wall paint/furniture color selections

A couple of quick questions.  Am moving in a new home in a few weeks and have to tell the builder what colors to paint the walls.  I'm a color blind male, and need help with a couple of things.  I will have hardwood flooring (a rosewood stain color) throughout the house (including kitchen) except for bathrooms and utility rooms - which will be tile.

First:  In my living room, I will have a soft red (medium to darker color) leather sofa, love seat, chair.  Rest will be glass oriented - coffee table, grandfather clock/curio cabinet, etc.  With the rosewood color hardwood floor, what color should I get for the walls?  I assume this color that is selected should also be used for the hallway (from the living room to the other bedrooms and bathrooms).  I also assume I should go lighter, but don't know what color.  Grey?  Tan?  Also, this wall color that I pick needs to sort of match up with the adjoining kitchen wall color that I've already selected - a traditional gold (with maybe a little mustardy tint) color to go with granite counter tops/island and a tuscan type look.

thank you very much for your help.  

There's a perfect color for you that you can use throughout the rest of the's my favorite background color - Glidden's Toasty Grey.  It's a true taupe, not too yellow, not too brown, not too grey - it's just enough of everything.  It coordinates perfectly with your furniture and will be handsome abutting the kitchen's traditional gold.  

Home Depot carries Glidden Paints, as do all Glidden retailers.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology