You are here:

Decorating & Furniture/What do I do about my wall


Hi - we moved into a house that has a family room located beside a hallway close to an open foyer. It has two large window like openings to the hallway that had wooden spindels in it. We could not stand those so we removed them and are now left with two openings 4 by 4 openings a foot apart that we don't know what to do with. We don't want to totally close them up since we have a woodburning fireplace in the family room that really heats up the rest of the house, especially with the open foyer. Also, all the trim in the house, including in the two openings is wooden and not painted.


Hi Heidi;
Make two identical stain glassed windows and encase them with a wooden frame. Or you can use Plexiglass instead of the stained glass & using 2 small pieces of chain, hang these down from the top of the opening.
In essense, you are making a free floating frame that also has a decorative element to it.

Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lora Mac Alistaire


Though I don't personally design furniture, I have made a few new pieces over the years, out of things that have been thrown away. In other words, I like to take something old and give it new life...


Owning my own Design and Painting company, I've had the pleasure of helping people realize their "Dream Rooms". In other words, after asking them a few questions about favorite places or a certain "Feeling" they want to have while in the room, I can then take those ideas and create a room that will bring years of enjoyment.

AA in English I'm fascinated by color and how it can impact your life, so I've taken quite a few classes over the years dealing with color

©2017 All rights reserved.