Decorating & Furniture/wallpaper removal

Question
Hi Karen,

I would like to know the best way to remove wallpaper with as little damage as possible to the drywall. The paper has been up for 10 years and I don't think the walls were primed before it was put up. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Christine LaRochelle

Answer
Christine, this could be easy or difficult. Try using hot water and a 4in blade scrapper, and see if the paper comes off easily. If it doesn't you can use Dif and follow label directions or rent a steamer. I have on some papers, had to go inch by inch, and others were fairly easy. If you get gouges in the walls during the process, then use USG in the green tub joint compound and using your 4 inch blade apply to uneven spots and pull it down and level the application. Use drywall screen to sand the areas you apply joint compound too, after they are dry. Good luck, I hope it comes off easily.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley