Decorating & Furniture/wallpapering and painting

I am doing some renovating and decorating my kitchen.  My house is a very old house, over 125yrs old, and the walls are far from straight or level.  The height of my walls in the kitchen are only 6ft6inches.  I want to wall paper the bottom and paint the top half of the wall and continue that color onto the ceiling to make the room look bigger.  My question is where do I divide the wallpaper and paint?  I was thinking the wallpaper could go up to 4ft then the remaining top 2 1/2ft could be painted.  Would this help to make the room look larger?

Hi Denise,
I believe you may end up cutting the room visually and making it appear shorter!  By elongating the room with one color, you're emphasizing height. By using wall paper on the bottom, you'll emphasize the lower half more than the top.

By painting the ceiling a contrasting lighter color, you'll succeed in the elusion of elevating the height of the room.  

Is the wall paper a vintage style and does it have stripes?
If it has stripes, then cover all the walls and paint the ceiling white or a contrasting color.

Good Luck!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID  

Decorating & Furniture

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA