Decorating & Furniture/wallpapering

is it possible to wallpaper over existing wallpaper...?  and, can you paint over wallpaper, if so, any requirements for doing either one of these?  thank you...

You can paint and wallpaper over existing wallpaper. The paper must be adhered to the wall and not coming off. If the paper is in bad shape, I would remove it with a steamer. To paint over the wallpaper, you will need to sand down any raised edges, and paint over the paper with a high hiding oil base primer. You can have the primer tinted in your wall color you will be using. You can prime over the wallpaper with an oilbase primer, but I would test a small area and make sure it holds. The paper underneath could be a problem. Test any procedure you decide to use, and good luck with your project.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley

I am a kitchen expert on, Bob and I answer questions on kitchen design, cabinet construction, countertops and their applications, wallpapering and paint questions. I am proficient in kitchen design, wallpapering, painting, and general decorating. You can find me on by going to advice and resources, message boards, and experts. I answer questions on the message boards and you can view my answers there.

I was a decorator and then became a kitchen designer. I was instrumental in opening 3 Lowe's kitchen departments, in St. Louis, Ohio, and Pa. and designed kitchens for Home Depot. In 2003, I gave a tool-time for women seminar, seminar at the Pa. Home Builder's Show on designing kitchens, and tv spots on home repair. I am now designing and opening a Kitchen Showroom for Kohl Building Products in Mechanicsburg, Pa. R>
Publications article on painting kitchen cabinets