Decorating & Furniture/whites and off-whites - kitchen cabinets, trim, and wall color

Question
We live in an old farm house and have recently redone our kitchen.  
We have hardwood floors, soapstone counters, and are going to
paint the cabinets white.  But what white?  The walls in our living
room and study are Duron's Pioneer Red.  We have terracotta, blue,
wheat oriental rugs.  There is a minimal amount of wall space in
the kitchen as the cabinets cover the bulk of the space.  But, we'll
be using the oriental rug in the sitting part of the kitchen.  I've
been using Benjamin Moore's Super White on the trim thoughout
the house but it seems a little stark; Decorator White seems a little
grey.  What white would you suggest for the cabinets and what wall
color tones could we use?  

Answer
I'd do a bright white for the cabinets (like your trim) and I'd use a subdued taupe color for the walls.  My favorite is Glidden's Toasty Grey (it's more toast than grey) and it's beautiful against white.  Most importantly, it will ease the transition between dark and light.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik